Welcome to the world of microcalligraphy. I enjoying creating art that catches the eye while speaking to the soul. Microcalligraphy is the art of writing passages from the bible in very fine print. Whether you appreciate fine art or enjoy the words of the bible, I feel there is something here for everyone to enjoy. Shalom

Thursday, May 10, 2012

When G-d Gives Us Challenges

Well it would seem that despite my best intentions I have had to take a small hiatus from the blog and work in general.  My goal has been to share my process of helping our family prepare for Lag B'Omer and Shavuot, however, as can often be found, G-d had another way of helping us prepare. For the past few weeks we have had construction going on as one of our neighbors is adding an expansion to their home.  So what does this have to do with Lag B'Omer and Shavuot?

In preparation for Shavuot and Lag B'Omer, the idea is to focus on how to improve our behavior and to focus on the miztvot (commandments) that G-d has given us. What I have discovered is that, at least for me, when I set out to improve myself, G-d makes sure that I have a challenge to do just that! In this case it is the construction. For three weeks we have been listening to a tractor dig through layers of stone wall, rock and dirt. Can I tell you how challenging it is NOT to speak badly about my neighbors that are doing the work, the construction workers who are doing the work and anyone else involved?  When we find that our life is disrupted it is so easy to just want to blame everyone and be angry at them. Lashon Hara ( literally evil speech) has been one of the key down falls for Jews throughout the centuries and in particularly during the time of the Second Temple.  So when venting my frustration which has unfortunately probably been more than I should, I have had to be very careful to remember that I am NOT angry with the neighbors, the construction workers and so on, but that I am just simply frustrated with the situation.

The second opportunity the construction has given me is the gift to appreciate Shabbat even more!  Shabbat on its own is a beautiful holiday and a wonderful mitzvot. Once the candles are lit for the next 24 hours I have no worries. Meals are already prepared, there are no phone calls to make and anything that did not get taken care of will wait until Sunday. Now I find that I can add the appreciation of peace and quiet to this holiday. We know that we will have no tractors and construction and that we as a family can appreciate Shabbat just that much more because of it.

I know that G-d wants his people to succeed,  but we cannot accomplish something without the work and challenge of it. I hope that as the construction continues and even long after the tractors have gone I will continue to remember that importance of staying away from Lashon Hara as well to continue to love Shabbos as much as I do now.   What are your goals to improve yourself? What challenges have you faced in accomplishing those goals? I would love hear from you and incorporate them into a future blog post.

Until next time..........Lihtraot!

No comments:

Post a Comment